Crispy Kale Chips Recipe
Do you ever crave crunchy, salty potato chips as a mid-afternoon snack? These delicious crispy kale chips bring the crunchy texture and salty flavor of potato chips, but they also blend healthy fats, fiber, and all sorts of vitamins and minerals (trying to avoid getting too “sciency” here). And the best part about this crispy kale chips recipe? They taste awesome and are kid-approved.
Crispy Kale Chips Make an Excellent Snack
This recipe makes a great healthy snack that can be left on the counter for people to pick at as they get hungry. You won’t feel too guilty because these crispy kale chips are made with all healthy ingredients. They can also be a great way to get your kiddos to eat their green veggies, which are full of fiber and vitamins that both kids and adults need.
This recipe is also great for anyone because it can be adjusted pretty easily to season the kale chips to your liking. You can make them slightly sweet, savory, or even a little spicy. If you need to accommodate any allergies or eating aversions, you can easily adjust the oil and nut butter to suit your needs.
The next time you have a free half hour, follow this crispy kale chips recipe to make a quick and easy snack for your family to enjoy. These chips will be gone in an instant!
Crispy Kale Chips
TOTAL TIME: 30 min Prep: 5 min Cook: 25 min
- 1 package kale, washed
- 1-2 Tbsp oil (olive, grapeseed, or avocado)
- 1-2 Tbsp nut butter (peanut or almond butter are favorites in our household)
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch of brown sugar
Additional Seasoning Combinations:
- Garlic, salt, and tahini
- Sunbutter, brown sugar, and cinnamon
- Preheat the oven on Convect at 250ºF or bake 350ºF. The secret is to convect (if possible at a lower temperature for longer to dry the chips) or bake and keep an eye on the chips so they don’t burn and get flipped at the right moment.
- Place the kale in a bowl. If there are any large stemmy pieces, take them out and put them in a food processor for smoothies.
- Starting with 1 Tbsp oil, drizzle the oil to lightly cover the kale. Add more if necessary. Massage the oil into the kale with your hands until all pieces are lightly coated. Be cautious not to add too much oil.
- Add your nut butter of choice as you are massaging the kale.
- Add remaining ingredients for seasoning. Massage until evenly coated.
- Spread the kale into a single layer on a baking sheet, and place into oven. If using Convect, bake at 250ºF for about 30 minutes. If using a conventional oven, bake at 350ºF for about 15-20 minutes. About halfway through the bake time, flip the chips over with a spatula and continue baking.
- Once the kale appears crispy and firm, remove from oven and allow to cool (about 5 minutes). Serve and enjoy!
This kale chips recipe is great as a basic recipe to start with. Feel free to experiment with new flavor combinations using different ingredients. I have made them with garlic and salt and tahini, sunbutter brown sugar and cinnamon, and the traditional almond butter or peanut butter. All of them were kid-approved.
Want to make this delicious, nutritious recipe at home?
Click below to download a recipe card for this Crispy Kale Chips recipe.