Start with the end in mind.
Taste, simplicity, and pairing are the end result of this simple salmon recipe.
Think about sides, read the entire directions below, and get water ready for side of rice or couscous so it can be boiling while the fish is cooking. Timing is everything.
This simple and delicious recipe will have your taste buds dancing with joy.
There are ways to personalize this recipe for your tastes but the directions below will give a great head start and will pair well with a nice glass of white wine or sparkling cider if wine isn’t your thing.
Here are some fun facts to share and pair well with this meal as well:
– The longest known trip ever taken by a salmon was a Chinook salmon that traveled 3,845 km (2,389 miles) upstream to spawn.
– When salmon are swimming upstream, they can jump two yards into the air.
Total Time:25-30 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
– Light the grill and let it heat up. (temp to rise to about 350)
– Prepare water for sides
– Place a piece of foil on the counter (twice the size of the piece of salmon filet is a good start)
– Put a thin layer of oil on the foil to prevent sticking before laying the filet on the foil. (Pro tip: place some lemon slices or herbs (rosemary branches can work well) below the filet in between the skin and the foil.
– Place salmon on the foil (Pro Tip: About 6 ounces per person is a good rule of thumb for buying salmon for a group of people.)
– Sprinkle about a teaspoon of olive oil on the salmon
– Sprinkle some salt over the top to taste
– Sprinkle chopped onions for simplicity or fresh onion to be fancy (pro tip: use real onions rings to set the mood. Make smiles with the circles)
– Sprinkle garlic power to taste on top
– Add herbs to your liking (pro tip: rosemary, basil, oregano, and thyme pair well with lemon)
– Add a small amount of bottled lemon juice to the top for simplicity or fresh lemon slices to be fancy (save some lemon wedges to serve with meal)
Time to cook the salmon!
Cook Time: 12-15 Minutes
Fold the foil over the salmon to make sure it is sealed pretty tight all around to keep heat in on the grill.
Pop it on the grill for about 12-15 minutes (pro tip: salmon should reach temp of at least 145 degrees at the thickest part)
Head back inside to make the sides:
– A wind tossed salad- easy peasy. Lettuce (pro tip: lettuce in a bag will save you time) add cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, sunflower seeds, and some strawberries if you want extra credit. Dressing choice is a citrus vinaigrette. Here is a Simple Vinaigrette Recipe
– Pearled couscous: Here is a link to an easy to make couscous that you can flavor to taste and serve with many healthy meals to come. Pro Tip: Season your couscous with the same lemon and herbs in your grilled salmon.
Delicious dessert ideas that are simple and so easy to pair with this amazing healthy dinner?
Try some fresh berries to go well with the citrus of the salmon.
Or get fancy with some Healthy Altitudes Quinoa Cookies
Pro Tip: The Cookies might require a little extra planning.
Enjoy your healthy dinner and here are more fun facts about why salmon is a good choice to eat …For Your Life™